home page | our products | our services | view our projects | view additional cast stone products | search our site | contact us | mizner information

Mizner Stoneworks offers the original Cast Stone Architectural products from Addison Mizner and his construction company. Architectural Cast Stone products available for Historic Reproductions. We also produce original Stoneworks and any Stonework copies you may need. From 1 piece to 100's of pieces. Structural and Decorative cast stone available for commercial and home building. Mizner Stoneworks manufactures all types of original and historic Cast Stone products for your Home or Commercial property. Addison Mizner's architectural dream continues here at Mizner Stoneworks.

Mizner Stoneworks


- Interior Cast Stone
- Exterior Cast Stone
- Decorative Cast Stone
- All Finishes
- All Textures
- All Colors
- From 1 to 1000's

From your dreams or the Drawing board...

We turn your dreams
into reality!

Mizner Stoneworks offers Worldwide delivery of all our Cast Stone products...


Click here to view our recent appearance on HGTV on the HGTV web site.

From 1 Cast Stone piece to 1000's of Cast Stone pieces. Contact us for more information


Glossary and Terms for Builders, Architects and End Users.

Abacus - The slab atop the capital of a column. it is square in the Tuscan, Roman Doric, and Ionic Orders, but its sides are arched inward in the corinthian.
Acorn - A piece of decorative millwork that complements an acorn pediment and looks similar to what the name implies, an acorn. Comes in half round and full round styles.
Acorn Pediment - (See Pediment) Triangle shaped "broken" pediment with a semi round center and an acorn ornament. Stacks on top of a door crosshead that usually crosses the top of a doorway.
Adhesive- Substance capable of holding material together by surface attachment; it is a general term and includes many adhesives inclusive of "glue." (See PL Premium Adhesive).
Appliqué - Highly detailed ornamentation that can accent a wall or ceiling application. Looks like sculpted plaster.
Arch End Cap - A divider or spline accent that separates the arch mould and the straight linear moulding.
Arch Moulding - Preformed half round arch that surrounds half round windows, half round sunburst or half round spoked pediments. Flat arch moulding consists of a flat profile. Decorative arch moulding consists of a shaped profile. All arches have a full complement of straight linear mouldings to match.
Arch Pilaster - (See Pilaster). Profile matches profile of arches available. Use in conjunction with arch as a vertical door/window casing.
Art Deco - Style of decorative art of 1920's and 1930's marked by use of geometric designs and bright colors.
Balls - Rounded profile ornaments used primarily for capping posts. (Also urns, acorns, pineapples). (See Finial).
Baluster (Spindle) - Vertical member used to fill an open area between railing and floor or tread, helping to support the railing.
Balustrade - A barrier system which includes handrails, newels and balusters.
Barrier Coat - First coat of protective paint surface that acts as a mould release and also forms the moulded-in protective skin of the finished urethane product. The barrier coat also prepares the urethane foam part to accept a paint finish.
Base - Moulding applied around the perimeter of a room at the point of intersection of the wall and finish floor; base shoe is generally used with it, forming a two member base; (also baseboard, mopboard or skirting).
Bead - Semicircular or rounded profile; also a small moulding to secure glass or panels to doors, hence "glass bead."
Bead and Cove - Combination of a "bead" and a "cove" profile.
Bottom Trim (BT) - Trim moulding accessory that can be added to the bottom of a door or window crosshead to create a taller crosshead with more detail.
Bracket - Primarily decorative exterior uses include porches, cornices, and part of gable end decoration. Interior applications support or hide joint between beam and wall, embellishments for doorways, supports for shelving, and hanging objects.
Breastboard - Lower flat area of a door or window crosshead. Part number refers to the breastboard dimension width when selecting a particular header size.
Breastboard Dimension - Measurement in inches of the breastboard width. Part number of door/window crossheads refers to this dimension width.
Brickmould - Moulding of window and exterior door frames that abuts the exterior facing material of the structure; serves as the boundary moulding for brick or other siding material.
Broken Pediment - A pediment broken along its perimeter; not solid; (Acorn Pediment) often contains an acorn in its broken portion; may be scroll-like (Rams Head Pediment).
Butt - To join two pieces by placing their square -cut ends together without making angles cuts.
Cap - Upper member of an entrance, wainscot, partition or pilaster; (also cap trim, wainscot cap, dado moulding, chair rail cap); top portion, above the fluted area, of a pilaster; (also capital).
Cast Moulding - Manufacturing process by which a product can be duplicated many times over from an original master.
Caulking - Compound for filling joints to prevent leakage of water and air. Weatherproof caulking is made of a silicone base.
Ceiling Medallion - Plaster like ornamental round ceiling accent, sometimes used as a trim collar for ceiling fans or hanging lights. Can be used in a sequence to create interesting ceiling and wall designs.
Chair Rail - Part of a family of mouldings used to define the lower section of the wall, and to protect the wall from scraping furniture. When used in conjunction with paneling or wainscoting the rail serves as an ornamental cap.
Colonial - Pertaining to the style of architecture and ornamentation of the British Colonies in America in the 17th and 18th centuries. Attributes are well proportioned, formal composition, robust ornamentation, and wood trim vigorously carved to produce pleasant shadows.
Column - Supporting or decorative pillar used in building.
Combination Unit - Various styles of pediment and crosshead combinations available moulded as one piece for faster installation. Combination units have a slightly smaller projection dimension than a two piece pediment assembly.
Corbel - A particularly massive bracket.
Corner Strip Moulding - Mouldings to be used together to make an adjustable outside
corner - maximum 45°. Ideal to trim bay or bow windows.
Cornice (Cornice Mouldings) - Prominent horizontal projection moulding that crowns the wall of a building. Moulding such as crown, bead and cove applied to cornice construction.
Countersink - Area where a fastener is recessed below the surface of the millwork.
Cove Moulding - Moulding with a concave profile used primarily where two members meet at a right angle; a rounded inside corner; opposite to a bullnose; (also scotia, cavetto, ceiling cornice).
Crosshead - Decorative form that resembles a lintel used to top a door or window, consisting of a breastboard with crown moulding surrounding the top portion, and moulded together as one piece. Crossheads come in heights from 6" to 18". A variety of accessories can be added to complement the design of a simple crosshead. (Also see Door Crosshead and Window Crosshead).
Crown Moulding - Moulding used on cornice or wherever an interior angle is to be covered. A sprung moulding used where two surfaces meet at an angle; usually applied wherever a larger angle is to be covered; (also cornice moulding).
Custom Design Product - Product involving the creation of original patterns and development time. Will be quoted on an individual project basis.
Decorative Louver - A non-ventilation louver that is to be used as a decorative building accent. We also manufactures louvers that do ventilate. (See Functional Louver).
Density - Weight of a substance per unit volume and measured in pounds per cubic foot. Urethane foams can vary for different applications. Our Urethane building products are at approximately 14 pounds/cubic foot.
Dentil Block - Smaller rectangle block which can be spaced closely together in a series or in sequence with moulding.
Dentil Moulding (Dentil Trim) (D) - Series of small square blocks uniformly spaced and projecting like teeth as used in cornice, front entrances and crossheads.
Divider Moulding Block - A spline accent block that is placed at the seam of a moulding run. Can also cap the end of a moulding run.
Door Casings/Window Casings - To case in a door or window is to enclose it with a moulding or series of mouldings. They are termed casings and included in the repertoire of most millwork suppliers. Casings range from simple beaded boards to highly complex series of profiles. In addition to mouldings, window or door casing might include such elements as corner blocks, a keystone, and base blocks. (See arches, door heads, pilasters, door/window moulding).
Door Crosshead - Ornamental form that resembles a lintel, which is a horizontal beam across the top of a door or window. The portion of the entrance above the door opening; (also entrance cap; entablature); commonly used when head is other than a pediment. (See Crosshead).
Door/Window Moulding - Trim moulding used as part of door or window casing. Often used in conjunction with door or window crosshead and rosettes.
Durability - Permanence or resistance to deterioration.
Eave - Overhanging lower edge of a roof. The margin or lower part of a roof projecting over the wall.
Emboss - Pressing a pattern into the wood by altering the wood fibers.
Entasis - The bending or bow of the column shaft that gives it a curved profile. The bow starts 1/3 of the way up the shaft and helps make the column more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. the lower third of the column shaft is cylindrical.
E-Vent - Eave Vent. A soffit ventilation system which serves a dual purpose combining the attractiveness of a moulding profile and the function of attic ventilation. Installs as one unit.
E-Vent Corner (Inside, Outside) - Accurate 45° premitered, preassembled corners that match up to straight linear E-Vent mouldings.
E-Vent Filler Block - Preformed filler block used to give additional support to the E-Vent moulding.
E-Vent Joining Block/End Cap - Used as a divider spline between linear moulding joints. Protrudes 1/4" from trim profile. Can also cap the end of a linear moulding run.
Egg and Dart - Moulding design using an egg and dart alternately. The egg is said to represent life, and the dart death.
Elliptical - Shaped like an ellipse (which is a closed plane curve that is oval in shape).
Fascia Moulding - Trim moulding applied to fascia board (horizontal facing board just below edge of roof line). A flat board, band, or face, used sometimes by itself, but usually in combination with mouldings, often located at outer face of cornice.
Fillet - A small moulding, generally rectangular in section, and having the appearance of a narrow band, used to separate ornaments and mouldings. The ridges between the flutes of columns are also called fillets.
Finger Joint - Small pieces of wood are recycled and jointed together to create long lengths of wood for millwork at a inexpensive price.
Finial - Ornament at the top of a gable or spire, or at the end of certain structures. (See Balls).
Fishscale - Scalloped overlapping shingle style of ornamentation used as facade or gable decoration in late-Victorian and Colonial houses.
Flankers - Application in which circle top window is placed along the side (flanked with) straight glass windows on each side. The circle top is covered with an arch and the side straight glass windows are flanked with crossheads.
Flat Trim - Moulding that has no decorative profile moulded in. S4S material.
Flute - One of the long, parallel, rounded, decorative grooves on the shaft of a column or pilaster.
Frieze Board - A decorative, often sculptured, horizontal band along the upper part of a building or a wall in a room. In house construction, a horizontal member connecting the top of the siding with the soffit of the cornice.
Functional Louver - A louver with open slats to allow ventilation into the attic area. Functional louvers have a noncorrosive screen backing that also keeps insects out while allowing maximum airflow between the slats. Style Solutions also manufactures louvers that do not ventilate. (See Decorative Louver).
Gable Pediment - Decorative millwork used to cover the joint between the gable end of a house and its roof, or simply, gable end ornaments. Take the place of cornice mouldings on exterior of many early-to-mid-Victorian houses.
Gingerbread - Lavish or superfluous ornamentation especially in architecture.
Glazing and Filler Putty - An automotive type filler used to fill small imperfections. Used to fill in and smooth the raw edges of the foam.
Gothic Arch - Form of pointed arch over doorway or window from architectural style prevalent in Western Europe from 12th through 15th centuries.
Inside Moulding Block - (See Moulding Block).
J-Channel - Accessory available through siding manufacturers for installing trim work. J-channels are butt up against the trim work allowing the siding to be cut and fit into these channels.
J-Channel, Flexible - Used as J-channel; however, the liner is flexible to follow curved shapes.
Jamb - Top and two sides of a door or window frame which contact the door or sash; top jamb and side jambs.
Jamb Extension (Sub-Jamb) - Jamb like member, usually surfaced four sides, which increases or extends the width of door frame jamb. Sub-jambs imply a larger width than "jamb liners", Can be used with window units. (Also extension jamb).
Jamb Liner - Small strip of wood, either surfaced four sides or tongued on one edge, which, when applied to the inside edge of a window jamb, increases its width.
Jamb Reveal (Face of Jamb) - The exposed surface of a jamb next to the door or window. The margin visible between the window or door jamb and the surrounding trim or casing.
Keystone - Traditionally topmost member of an arch. Most often appears as part of an entryway surround or window crosshead. Available in three styles including plain, recessed panel, and art deco.
Louver - A building component installed into the side wall to allow ventilation and/or decoration on a building. Styles may be square, rectangle, triangle, quarter or half round, etc. (See catalog for all styles of louvers).
Louver Trim - One piece moulded trim that surrounds various shapes of a louver giving the louver the appearance of a more massive building component.
Master - An original from which copies can be made.
Mon Reale - A fine-grained overlay, contoured to traditional hardwood moulding.
Moulded Edge - Edge of piece machined to any profile other than square or eased edge.
Moulding - Ornamental strip used to decorate a surface, often used to accent or emphasize the ornamentation of a structure and to conceal surface or angle joints.
Moulding Block (Inside, Outside) - A moulded corner system that eliminates the need for difficult angled cuts. Lineal mouldings easily butt up to these preformed corners.
Mull - Term used to join two or more windows at the jamb or door side lights to the door unit. We manufacture fluted mull mouldings to cover the seams where the jambs meet.
Necking - A small moulding around the top of a column below the capital.
Niche - A wall recess traditionally used to display a sculpture or ornamental object.
Nonpenetrating Stain - A type of stain formulated to lay on top, and not soak into the open pores, of a surface.
Order Acknowledgment - Upon our customer service staff receiving an order via FAX or phone call, Pacific Columns will FAX or phone a confirmation back to our customer that the order has been received, and verify the products ordered.
Ornaments - Useful designation for all those infrequently used, highly decorative wall and ceiling motifs, such as garlands, leaves, scrolls, shells, shields, sunburst, and wreath embellishments. Ball ornaments include urns, acorns, pineapples, etc.
Outside Moulding Block - (See Moulding Block).
Peaked (Pediment) - Solid triangle pediment head unbroken along its perimeter.
Pediment - Used to describe topmost member of a formal entryway (Pediment stacks above the crosshead) and includes the caps or heads which ornament windows and interior door.
Pilaster - Vertical column, often ornamental, that projects slightly from the wall. Most are purely decorative. May be rectangle or half round; often has a base (plinth block), shaft (middle section), and capital. Most often used as simulated columns in entryway and other door openings.
Pitch - Incline slope of a roof or the ratio of the total rise to the total width of a house. Roof slope is expressed in the inches of rise per foot of run (See Page 11 of the Technical Catalog for a visual reference).
Pitch Block - Thick, massive filler block that can be field trimmed to adjust to various roof pitches.
PL Premium Adhesive - Urethane base construction adhesive that is superior for attaching and joining polyurethane millwork.
Plastic Wood Filler - (See Bondo, and Glazing and Filler Putty).
Plinth Block - Square block at the base of a column or pilaster; thicker and wider than the abutting members.
Polyurethane Foam - Mixture of two resins that create a chemical foaming reaction. Polyurethane foam. Once cast and removed from the mould it is difficult to differentiate from wood or plaster components. Characteristics of the finished product include resistance to rotting, splitting, warping, paint peeling, chipping, and insects.
Prime Coat Finish (Primer) - A paint finish intended for a later application of paint. The first coat of paint in an application that consists of two or more coats.
Projection - Thrust outward, protrude. The distance the millwork protrudes away from a surface.
Quarter Round Louver - (See Louver). Available in left and right hand configuration.
Quoin - Decoration forming an exterior outside corner (stone look) to a building.
Railing - Horizontal bar supported at both ends or at intervals by posts, as in a balustrade, and used as a barrier.
Rams Head (Pediment) - Scroll-like broken pediment with an urn in its open portion.
Rosette - A square block with a circular decorative design in the center usually used as a corner block as part of the casing around windows and doors.
Rounded Pediment - An arc-like "pediment" (Sunburst, Elliptical, Half Round, etc.)
RTV Silicone Mould - The production mould from which the actual urethane building products are moulded or cast.
Scallop - One of a series of curves shaped like semicircles that form a border.
Scone - A decorative wall bracket for candles or electric lights.
Shimming - Using a thin piece of material as a spacer between two objects.
Shoe Moulding - Quarter round trim applied at the bottom of baseboard where it meets the floor.
Sill Moulding - Moulding designed to resist or shed water away from a wall surface.
Soffit - Usually the underside of an overhanging cornice.
Solid Pediment - Triangle head unbroken along its perimeter (Peaked Cap Pediment).
Spandrel - Decorative type of spindle system that covers the distance between columns and posts.
Special Made Fabrication Product - Product taken from stock as shown in catalog then cut, seamed and assembled to custom size or design as requested by the customer.
Standard Millwork - All product shown in the catalog.
Sunburst - A semi elliptical area, the lower center of which contains a sun-like figure with fanned sun rays radiating there from.
Trim - The finish materials in a building, such as mouldings, applied around openings (window trim, door trim) or at the floor and ceiling of rooms (baseboard, cornice, and
other mouldings).
Trim Strip (T) - A decorative accessory that can be added to create a more detailed crosshead.
Undersill Trim - Accessory available through siding manufacturers for installing trim work. Undersill trim is a thinner type of J-Channel that allows the siding to be cut and fit into the undersill channel.
Urethane Foam - (See Polyurethane Foam).
UV Stable - Ultraviolet sunlight stable. Sun rays will not affect the quality of the product.
Veneer Overlay - A thin sheet of wood adhesively applied over an exposed edge of core material to provide a finished surface.
Vent (Ventilation) - Provide with an opening for the circulation (or passage) of fresh air.
Victorian - Name assigned to the style of architecture prominent in the United States during the period 1860-1893.
Wainscoting - A lower interior wall surface that contrasts with the wall surface above it. An interior wall composed of two different interior wall surfaces, one above the other.
Window Crosshead - An ornamental form that resembles a lintel, which is a horizontal beam across the top of a door or window.
Window Panel - Decorative raised panel placed directly below a window. Other applications include placement in a series creating a wainscoting system, or around the front of a whirlpool tub to act as water resistant, decorating access panels.
Window Pediment - (See Pediment).
Woodgrain/Stainable - Special moulded-in texture on the surface of urethane millwork resembling oak, redwood or cedar. Product will accept nonpenetrating stain or paint.
Wreath and Bow - Large decorative wreath shaped building accent usually placed on the gable end of a traditional building.


Originally Mizner Industries, ca. 1922
Custom Cast Stone Architectural work and historic reproductions...
as well as a full line of "standard" architectural products

column[1].jpg (21835 bytes)

Mizner Stoneworks

Telephone: (407) 864-2345
Postal Address:
2405 West Princeton St.#7 Orlando, FL 32804

General Information: Keith@MiznerStone.com

Home ] Search ] Feedback ] [ Glossary ]

Mizner Stoneworks Products ] Mizner Stoneworks Services ] Our Recent Projects ] View Products and Pictures ]


Fireplaces Mantels Balusters Columns Capitals Pedestals Moldings Corbels
Medallions Finials Pier Caps Wall Caps Fountains Pool Coping Trellis Stone Flooring
    Exterior Treatments Interior Treatments